Friday, June 3
Passage to Baldwinsville, NY
Distance Traveled: 20.7 nm
Miles traveled to get Home: 2047.85 nm
Total Distance Traveled: 4737.78 nm
Phil decided to go thru Lock 23, which is a down lock and continue on the Lock 24. He tied up to the wall before the lock, got out one of the folding bikes and rode to the up side of the lock. Who should he find but S/V's Obsession, Dream Weaver and Tessa, who he had met earlier. John and friends offered after going to supper at a nearby restaurant, to ride with Phil on Changes and help him get to the up side of the lock. The lockmaster was kind to let these boats thru if they promised not to continue the 29 miles to Lock 25. It's this section of the canal that has been plagued with high water and resulting strong current. Before the end of the evening, Phil was tided up and connected to blessed electricity. It's also great for him to be with friends as it's been getting pretty boring for him as it's now been 2 weeks that he's been on Changes alone.
We also heard that the last 2 locks , Lock 25 & 26 are now opening on Sunday morning, so now the entire Erie Canal will be open Sunday. Of course can't guarantee for how long, but we both are glad that he'll be coming home.
Colin Mills has been gracious in saying that he'll come over on Saturday, just working on the plans now. They have also been gracious in letting me stay next with them as I'll be working in Ashtabula and Mentor areas for the week.
Me - I worked a half day and then went to the first Friday Potluck of the summer. It's great to see the friends. Dan and Kathy Christian have Abbey Marie in the water and are now living on her. I met our new dock mate, Andrew and saw some of our yacht club friends. I am still finding that I am discombobulated. Even though I have been with Virginia for this time, it's not fun essentially living out of the van. I'm glad to be back at work and starting to make some money, but also wished that I was on Changes taking her back the rest of the way. Just didn't work out this time.
Saturday, June 4
Phil make it to the hardward store to get new hose nozzles before the 3-4 hours of light rain started coming down. Colin and Louise are driving over today and made it there by 5pm. I have moved over to their house later in the evening after working this morning and spending time after packing was done, knitting my Mom a pair of socks - green this time. I have one of the heels turne and the heel flap done and working on the 2nd. After this, the hardest part of the sock are finished.
Phil and Colin are planning on leaving with the other boats at 530am tomorrow so they can get as far as possible. For those interested - there are 35 locks on the Erie Canal not including the lock in Troy, NY to get to Waterford and the lock in Buffalo to get to the canal on the western end. Phil hopes that they can get to the end in 4 days. I don't know if he has decided yet where he will have the mast raised. If he has decided he hasn't shared it with me yet. The if he has good weather, which means light to moderated winds that are not from the W or SW, then he'll be able to get home by next weekend. It will be so nice to be able to get things organized for living on the boat.
So what are we going to do this summer about accomodations? We plan to live on Changes this summer and next summer and hope to be able to house sit for someone that is going west or south to warmer temps for the winter. We could stay on the boat as late as October and back on (depending on the spring weather) in early May. So keep us in mind if anyone is interested in that service.
Soon this trip will be completely over and we'll have to decide what to do next. The options are many and at times overwhelming for me. But I'm sure that it will work out in the end.
2 days ago