Phil and I have made the decision to put the house up for sale. I had hoped that my neice and her boyfriend could rent the house while we are away cruising, and if their situation changes and the house isn't sold yet - then they still can, but I think the chance of them being able to do that with the worsening ecomony is lower than we initially thought.
Last night we had a real estate agent, Linda - the same one that Phil had used to sell his last 2 houses - come a look at the house and give us suggestions for getting the house ready to sell. Of course there is a lot to do - clearing aware the clutter - but she also recommended that we finish the hardwood floors under the carpet in the living room and dining room. We had hoped not to have to do that as it's a big job and we usually do this ourselves- but have a call in already to get a quote for the sanding. Phil wants to apply the varnish himself.
Sunday, Phil and I replaced the ripped screens on the back patio door in 44F weather. Not fun, but it's only going to be colder once he gets back. Thankfully, Phil put up reinforced plastic over the screen walls of the patio, so that shielded us from the wind and rain.
Phil is leaving tomorrow to visit his daughter, Vicki, had her husband Nick, sons Henry and Calvin for a couple weeks. While he is gone, I hope that I can get the 2nd floor attic packed up. This is the room that I keep most of my fabric and lesser used sewing/quiltiing books and sewing machines. Maybe I'll take before and after pictures of the rooms. That way I have a way to tell just how much we have done. As Linda said one room at a time.
Our target date to put the house up for sale is beginning of February before the spring rush starts. It's discouraging for me that the pricing for the house is going to be a lot less than I want, but with this market -if I price it too high, it will only sit a long time and then we'll have to decrease the price anyways.
The Winds of Change
9 hours ago